Faceware Technologies Inc
Headcams & Performance Capture
Checklist for Video Based Facial Performance Capture in a VO/ADR booth for Feature Films
- Locate ADR facility with Pro Tools HD
- Allow for tech day, at least half a day for prep
- Choose video recording medium
- DDR (AJA Ki Pro or like)
- Can log and capture as we go
- Multiple decks can be gang controlled via browser based GUI
- Requires operator
- Tape (digibeta or like)
- More traditional recording method
- At certain facilities, machine control can automate video recording process
- What kind of cameras for capture?
- HD Witness camera(s)
- Combination of Headcam and witness camera(s)
- Will NTSC headcam be manageable?
- Rectify 23.976 v 29.97 issue
- Headcam v session
- Headcam v witness cams
- Possible R&D for light enough 23.976 camera
- At the stage, arrange patching and cabling for sending the following to video deck and all witness cams:
- SDI video
- Ref Audio
- CV or SDI out for monitoring
- Witness cams?
- How many?
- Feeding video streams to gang controlled decks will save the greatest time in post by eliminating the multicam syncing.
- Recording in-cam will add significant time to editorial by requiring multicam assemblage
- Monitoring stations?
- In the booth
- In the control room
- For record, establish workflow
- Line by line or scene by scene and naming conventions for each
- RE: timecode - Houred Reels, Time of Day; picture lock vs wild,
- If slaving to lock picture, create proper naming conventions for takes to differentiate duplicate timecodes
- Contingencies for naming conventions and notations of wild lines at the end of takes
- Establish playback protocols
- Establish post production workflow
- What level of archiving is being done on set?
- Is the footage going to production, the Lab or directly to editorial?
- If applicable, automate the 30 to 24 fps conversion (apple’s compresser is an option)
- Rectify naming conventions with logs that are good for Editorial
Have more questions? Submit a request